Motown discography


Singles[edit]

YearMonthTitleArtistLabel & NumberNation
A-sideB-side
1959Jan"I Can't Concentrate""Insane"Wade JonesRayber 1001US
"Come to Me""Whisper"Marv JohnsonTamla T 101US
Feb"Merry-Go-Round""It Moves Me"Eddie HollandTamla T 102US
Apr"Let's Rock""Do the Very Best You Can"Barrett StrongTamla T 54021US
"Solid Sender""I'll Never Love Again"Chico LeverettTamla T 54024US
Jun"Snake Walk (Part 1)""Snake Walk (Part 2)"The Swinging TigersTamla T 54024 (sic)US
"It""Don't Say Bye Bye"Ron & BillTamla T 54025US
Jul"Going to the Hop""Motor City"The SatintonesTamla T 54026US
Aug"Money (That's What I Want)""Oh I Apologize"Barrett StrongTamla T 54027US
"Ich-i-bon #1""Cool and Crazy"Nick & the JaguarsTamla T 5501US
Sep"Bad Girl""I Love Your Baby"The MiraclesMotown G1US
"The Feeling Is So Fine""(You Can) Depend on Me"The MiraclesTamla T 54028US
Oct"My Beloved""Sugar Daddy"The SatintonesMotown M 1000US
"You Never Miss a Good Thing""Hold Me Tight" / "Gotta Have Your Lovin'"Eugene RemusMotown M 1001US
Nov"The Hunch""Hot Cross Buns"Paul GaytenLondon American HLM 8998UK
1960Feb"Way Over There""(You Can) Depend on Me(second version)The MiraclesTamla T 54028 (sic)US
Apr"Money (That's What I Want)""Oh I Apologise"Barrett StrongLondon American HL 9088UK
Jul"Yes, No, Maybe So""You Knows What to Do"Barrett StrongTamla T 54029US
Aug"Custer's Last Man""Shimmy Gully"Popcorn and the MohawksMotown M 1002US
"Who Wouldn't Love a Man Like That""You Made a Fool Out of Me"Mable JohnTamla T 54031US
"Whirlwind""I'm Gonna Cry (If You Quit Me)"Barrett StrongTamla T 54033US
Sep"Bye Bye Baby""Please Forgive Me"Mary WellsMotown M 1003US
"What Makes You Love Him""That Child Is Really Wild"Singin' Sammy WardTamla T 54030US
"Who's the Fool""That Child Is Really Wild"Singin' Sammy WardTamla T 54030(second pressing)US
"Shop Around""Who's Lovin' You"The MiraclesTamla T 54034US
Oct"True Love""It's You"Herman GriffinTamla T 54032US
Nov"Oh Lover""That's Why I Love You So Much"Sherri Taylor & Singin' Sammy WardMotown M 1004US
1961Jan"I've Got a Notion""We Really Love Each Other"Henry LumpkinMotown M 1005US
"Don't Feel Sorry for Me""Heart"Jimmy RuffinMiracle MIR 1US
Feb"Don't Let Him Shop Around""A New Girl"Debbie DeanMotown M 1007US
"Ain't It Baby""The Only One I Love"The MiraclesTamla T 54036US
"Money and Me""You've Got What It Takes"Barrett StrongTamla T 54035US
"When I Needed You""Continental Strut"Little Iva & Her BandMiracle MIR 02US
"Whole Lotta' Woman""Come On and Be Mine"The ContoursMotown M 1008US
"Shop Around""Who's Lovin' You"The MiraclesLondon American HL 9276UK
Mar"I Want a Guy""Never Again"The SupremesTamla T 54038US
"He Lifted Me""Behold the Saints of God"The Gospel StarsTamla T 54037US
"Poor Sam Jones""They Rode Through the Valley"Mickey WoodsTamla T 54039US
Apr"Money (That's What I Want)""I'll Still Be Around"Richard Wylie and His BandMotown M 1009US
"Tomorrow and Always""A Love That Can Never Be"The SatintonesMotown M 1006US
May"Blibberin' Blabbin' Blues""Don't Say Bye Bye"Gino ParksMiracle MIR 03US
"Angel""A Love That Can Never Be"The SatintonesMotown M 1006 (third pressing)US
"(I'm Afraid) The Masquerade Is Over""Witchcraft"Marvin GayeTamla (no catalogue number)US
"Let Your Conscience Be Your Guide""Never Let You Go (Sha Lu Bop)"Marvin GayeTamla T 54041US
Jun"I Don't Want to Take a Chance""I'm So Sorry"Mary WellsMotown M 1011US
"Rosa Lee (Stay Off the Bell)""Shoo-Doo"Andre WilliamsMiracle MIR 04US
"Misery""Two Wrongs Don't Make a Right"Barrett StrongTamla T 54043US
"Broken Hearted""Mighty Good Lovin'"The MiraclesTamla T 54044US
"No Love""Looking for a Man"Mable JohnTamla T 54040US
"Same Thing""That's No Lie"Gino ParksTamla T 54042US
"I Know How It Feels""My Kind of Love"The SatintonesMotown M 1010US
"Buttered Popcorn""Who's Lovin' You"The SupremesTamla T 54045US
"Ain't It Baby""The Only One I Love"The MiraclesLondon American HL 9366UK
Jul"Oh Mother of Mine""Romance Without Finance"The TemptationsMiracle M 5US
Aug"I am Bound""Precious Memories"The Golden HarmoneersMotown M 1015US
"Please Mr. Postman""So Long Baby"The MarvelettesTamla T 54046US
"The Stretch""Funny"The ContoursMotown M 1012US
"Itsy Bity Pity Love""But I'm Afraid"Debbie DeanMotown M 1014US
Sep"They Shall Be Mine""Jesus Loves"Rev. Columbus MannTamla T 54047US
"Someone to Call My Own""You're My Desire"The EquadorsMiracle MIR 7US
"Love Me""Darling Tonight"Pete HartfieldMiracle M 8US
"Everybody's Gotta Pay Some Dues""I Can't Believe"The MiraclesTamla T 54048US
Oct"Angel in Blue""Blue Cinderella"Joel SebastianMiracle MIR 9US
"Strange Love""Come to Me"Mary WellsMotown M 1016US
"The Day Will Come""Just for You"Freddie GormanMiracle MIR 11US
"Have I the Right""Real Good Lovin'"Popcorn & the MohawksMotown M 1019US
"Zing Went the Strings of My Heart""Faded Letter"The SatintonesMotown M 1020US
"Jamie""Take a Chance On Me"Eddie HollandMotown M 1021US
"Greetings (This Is Uncle Sam)""Take a Chance"The ValadiersMiracle M 6US
Nov"Actions Speak Louder Than Words""Take Me"Mable JohnTamla T 54050US
"What Makes You Love Him" (version two)"Don't Take It Away"Sammy WardTamla T 54049US
"Check Yourself""Your Wonderful Love"The TemptationsMiracle MIR 12US
"Small Sad Sam""Tie Me Tight"Bob KayliTamla T 54051US
"Whose Heart (Are You Gonna Break Now)""I'll Call You"Don McKenzieMiracle MIR 10US
"Xmas Twist""White House Twist"The Twistin' KingsMotown M 1022US
Dec"Please Mr. Kennedy""(They Call Me) Cupid"Mickey WoodsTamla T 54052US
"Twistin' Postman""I Want a Guy"The MarvelettesTamla T 54054US
"What's So Good About Goodbye""I've Been Good To You"The MiraclesTamla T 54053US
"Congo, Pt. 1""Congo, Pt. 2"The Twistin' KingsMotown M 1023US
"Please Mr. Postman""So Long Baby"The MarvelettesFontana H 355UK
1962Jan"Mr. Sandman""I'm Yours, You're Mine"Marvin GayeTamla T 54055US
"What Is a Man (Without a Woman)""Don't Leave Me"Henry LumpkinMotown M 1013US
Feb"The One Who Really Loves You""I'm Gonna Stay"Mary WellsMotown M 1024US
"Your Baby's Back""Request of a Fool"The DownbeatsTamla T 54056US
Mar"Big Joe Moe""Everybody Knew It but Me"Singin' Sammy WardTamla T 54057US
"Everybody's Talking About My Baby""I Cried All Night"Debbie DeanMotown M 1025US
"I Out-Duked the Duke""Baby I Need You"Little OtisTamla T 50458US
"(You're My) Dream Come True""Isn't She Pretty"The TemptationsGordy G 7001US
"What's So Good About Goodbye""I've Been Good To You"The MiraclesFontana H 384UK
"Twistin' Postman""I Want a Guy"The MarvelettesFontana H 386UK
"Jamie""Take a Chance on Me"Eddie HollandFontana H 387UK
Apr"You Deserve What You Got""Last Night I Had a Vision"Eddie HollandMotown M 1026US
"I'll Try Something New""You Never Miss a Good Thing"The MiraclesTamla T 54059US
"Playboy""All the Love I've Got"The MarvelettesTamla T 54060US
"Come into My Palace""Trying to Make It"Lee & the LeopardsGordy G 7002US
May"(If) Cleopatra Took a Chance""What About Me"Eddie HollandMotown M 1030US
"Soldier's Plea""Taking My Time"Marvin GayeTamla T 54063US
"Your Heart Belongs to Me""(He's) Seventeen"The SupremesMotown M 1027(two pressings)US
"Exodus""I Remember You"Hank & Carol DiamondWorkshop Jazz 2001US
"Opus No. 3""March Lightly"Earl Washington All-StarsWorkshop Jazz 2002US
"Because I Love Her""While I'm Away"The ValadiersGordy G 7003US
"I Call It Pretty Music but the Old People Call It the Blues (Part 1)""I Call It Pretty Music but the Old People Call It the Blues (Part 2)"Little Stevie WonderTamla T 54061US
Jun"Sleep (Little One)""Uptight"Herman GriffinMotown M 1028US
"Dearest One""Fortune Teller (Tell Me)"Lamont DozierMel-o-dy 102US
"Same Old Story""I'll Cry a Million Tears"Mickey McCullersTamla T 54064US
"Do You Love Me""Move Mr. Man"The ContoursGordy G 7005US
"Back In My Arms""Is It True (What They Say About You)"Hattie LittlesGordy G 7004
(unreleased)
US
Jul"Fire""For This I Thank You"Gino ParksTamla T 54066US
"I Found Myself a Brand New Baby""It's Too Bad"Mike and the ModifiersGordy G 7006US
"Mo Jo Hanna""Break Down and Sing"Henry LumpkinMotown M 1029US
"Beechwood 4-5789""Someday, Someway"The MarvelettesTamla T 54065US
"You Beat Me to the Punch""Old Love (Let's Try It Again)"Mary WellsMotown M 1032US
"This Is Our Night""You're My Inspiration"The CreationsMel-o-dy M 101US
"Camel Walk""It's Gonna Be Hard Times"Saundra Mallett & the VandellasTamla T 54067US
"Stubborn Kind of Fellow""It Hurt Me Too"Marvin GayeTamla T 54068US
"That's What He Is to Me""Pilgrim of Sorrow"The Wright SpecialsDivinity 99004US
"Way Over There""If Your Mother Only Knew"The MiraclesTamla T 54069US
Aug"If It's Love (It's Alright)""It's Not Too Late"Eddie HollandMotown M 1031US
"Someday Pretty Baby""Part Time Love"Singin' Sammy WardTamla T 54071US
Sep"Your Love Is Wonderful""Here You Come"Hattie LittlesGordy G 7007US
"Trouble Lover""Show Me Some Sign"The ChartersMel-o-dy M 104US
"I'll Have to Let Him Go""My Baby Won't Come Back"Martha and the VandellasGordy G 7011US
"Mind Over Matter (I'm Gonna Make You Mine)""I'll Love You Till I Die"The PiratesMel-o-dy M-105US
"You Beat Me to the Punch""Old Love (Let's Try It Again)"Mary WellsOriole CBA 1762UK
"Do You Love Me""Move Mr. Man"The ContoursOriole CBA 1763UK
"Beechwood 4-5789""Someday, Someway"The MarvelettesOriole CBA 1764UK
Oct"Little Water Boy""La La La La La"Little Stevie Wonder &Clarence PaulTamla T 54070US
"Strange I Know""Too Strong to Be Strung Along"The MarvelettesTamla T 54072US
"You'll Never Cherish a Love So True ('Til You Lose It)""There He Is (At My Door)"The VellsMel-o-dy M 103US
"Paradise""Slow Down Heart"The TemptationsGordy G 7010US
"Two Lovers""Operator"Mary WellsMotown M 1035US
"I Found Myself A Brand New Baby""It's Too Bad"Mike & the ModifiersOriole CBA 1775UK
Nov"Let Me Go the Right Way""Time Changes Things"The SupremesMotown M 1034US
"Hold on Pearl""Toodle Loo"Bob KayliGordy G 7008US
"Happy Landing""You've Really Got a Hold on Me"The MiraclesTamla T 54073US
"Shake Sherry""You Better Get in Line"The ContoursGordy G 7012US
Dec"Camel Walk""The Chaperone"LaBrenda Ben & the BeljeansGordy G 7009US
"Darling, I Hum Our Song""Just a Few More Days"Eddie HollandMotown M 1036US
"Hitch Hike""Hello there Angel"Marvin GayeTamla T 54075US
"Contract on Love""Sunset"Little Stevie WonderTamla T 54074US
1963Jan"I Found a Girl""You'll Be Sorry Someday"The ValadiersGordy G 7013US
"Good-Bye Cruel Love""Envious"Linda GrinerMotown M 1037US
"I Want to Talk about You""So in Love"Paula GreerWorkshop Jazz 2003
(unreleased)
US
"You've Really Got a Hold on Me""Happy Landing"The MiraclesOriole CBA 1795UK
"Two Lovers""Operator"Mary WellsOriole CBA 1796UK
Feb"Laughing Boy""Two Wrongs Don't Make a Right"Mary WellsMotown M 1039US
"Sugar Cane Curtain""Dingbat Diller"The Chuck-a-LucksMel-o-dy 106US
"It Should Have Been Me""Love Me All the Way"Kim WestonTamla T 54076US
"Locking Up My Heart""Forever"The MarvelettesTamla T 54077US
"Come and Get These Memories""Jealous Lover"Martha and the VandellasGordy G 7014US
"My Heart Can't Take It No More""You Bring Back Memories"The SupremesMotown M 1040US
"Late Freight""Mellow in Coli"Dave HamiltonWorkshop Jazz 2004US
"I'mi See You Later""I Did"Johnny Griffith TrioWorkshop Jazz 2005US
"Bobbie""El Rig"George Bohannon QuartetWorkshop Jazz 2006US
"I Did""Falling in Love with Love"Paula GreerWorkshop Jazz 2007US
"Shake Sherry""You Better Get in Line"The ContoursOriole CBA 1799UK
"Stubborn Kind of Fellow""It Hurts Me Too"Marvin GayeOriole CBA 1803UK
Mar"The Interview (Summit Chanted Meeting)""Peaceful"Bert "Jack" Haney & Bruce "Nikiter" ArmstrongMel-o-dy 107US
"My Baby Gave Me Another Chance""I'll Make It Up to You Somehow"Amos MilburnMotown M 1038US
"Don't Let Her be Your Baby""It Must be Love"The ContoursGordy G 7016US
"Oh Freddy""It Hurt Me Too"Connie Van DykeMotown M 1041US
"A Love She Can Count On""I Can Take a Hint"The MiraclesTamla T 54078US
"I Want a Love I Can See""The Further You Look, the Less You See"The TemptationsGordy G 7015US
"If it's Love (It's Alright)""It's Not Too Late"Eddie HollandOriole CBA 1808UK
"I Found a Girl""You'll Be Sorry Someday"The ValadiersOriole CBA 1809UK
"I'll Have to Let Him Go""My Baby Won't Come Back"Martha and the VandellasOriole CBA 1814UK
Apr"Pride and Joy""One of These Days"Marvin GayeTamla T 54079US
"Your Old Standby""What Love Has Joined Together"Mary WellsMotown M 1042US
"Baby Shake""Brenda"Eddie HollandMotown M 1043US
"Why Go Out of Your Way""I'll Go Anywhere"Billy MerrittMel-o-dy 108
(unreleased)
US
"Locking Up My Heart""Forever"The MarvelettesOriole CBA 1817UK
"Come and Get These Memories""Jealous Lover"Martha and the VandellasOriole CBA 1819UK
May"Fingertips (Part 1)""Fingertips (Part 2)"Little Stevie WonderTamla T 54080US
"First You've Got to Recognize God""I'm Going Home"The BurnadettesDivinity 99007US
"I'm Hooked""We're Only Young Once"Bunny PaulGordy G 7017US
"Going Steady Anniversary""Pushing Up Daisies"The StylersGordy G 7018US
"Laughing Boy""Two Wrongs Don't Make a Right"Mary WellsOriole CBA 1829UK
"Don't Let Her Be Your Baby""It Must Be Love"The ContoursOriole CBA 1831UK
Jun"Ninety-Nine and a Half Won't Do""I Won't Go Back"The Wright SpecialsDivinity 99005US
"Pa (I Need a Car)""You Get Ugly"The ContoursGordy G 7019US
"My Daily Prayer""I'll Make It Up to You Somehow"Amos MilburnMotown M 1046
(unreleased)
US
"A Breathtaking Guy""(The Man with the) Rock and Roll Banjo Band"The SupremesMotown M 1044US
"What Goes Up, Must Come Down""Come On Home"Holland–DozierMotown M 1045US
"Who Wouldn't Love a Man like That"(version two)"Say You'll Never Let Me Go"Mable JohnTamla T 54081US
"Farewell My Love""May I Have This Dance"The TemptationsGordy G 7020US
Jul"My Daddy Knows Best""Tie a String around Your Finger"The MarvelettesTamla T 54082US
"Heat Wave""A Love Like Yours (Don't Come Knocking Everyday)"Martha and the VandellasGordy G 7022US
"Give God a Chance""Have You any Time for Jesus"The Gospel StarsDivinity 99006US
"Mickey's Monkey""Whatever Makes You Happy"The MiraclesTamla T 54083US
"There He Goes""That's the Reason Why"The VelvelettesPG 45-1002US
"Pride and Joy""One of These Days"Marvin GayeOriole CBA 1846UK
"Your Old Standby""What Love Has Joined Together"Mary WellsOriole CBA 1847UK
Aug"Back to School""Pig Knuckles"The Morrocco Muzik MakersMotown M 1047US
"Just Be Yourself""I Can't Help It, I Gotta Dance"LaBrenda BenGordy G 7021US
"You Lost the Sweetest Boy""What's Easy for Two Is So Hard for One"Mary WellsMotown M 1048US
"Fingertips (Part 1)""Fingertips (Part 2)"Little Stevie WonderOriole CBA 1853UK
Sep"Workout Stevie, Workout""Monkey Talk"Little Stevie WonderTamla T 54086US
"Can I Get a Witness""I'm Crazy 'Bout My Baby"Marvin GayeTamla T 54087US
"We Shall Overcome""Trouble in This Land"Liz LandsDivinity 99008
(unreleased)
US
""Mickey's Monkey""Whatever Makes You Happy"The MiraclesOriole CBA 1863UK
Oct"As Long as I Know He's Mine""He Won't Be True (Little Girl Blue)"The MarvelettesTamla T 54088US
"I'm on the Outside Looking In""I Couldn't Cry If I Wanted To"Eddie HollandMotown M 1049US
"Just Loving You""Another Train Coming"Kim WestonTamla T 54085US
"Too Hurt to Cry, Too Much in Love to Say Goodbye""Come on Home"The DarnellsGordy G 7024US
"The Big Wheel""That Silver Haired Daddy of Mine"Howard CrockettMel-o-dy 109US
"Forget About Me""Devil in His Heart"Carolyn CrawfordMotown M 1050US
"When the Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes""Standing at the Crossroads of Love"The SupremesMotown M 1051US
"I Gotta Dance to Keep from Crying""Such Is Love, Such Is Life"The MiraclesTamla T 54089US
"I've Got That Feeling""I Want My Share"Cornell BlakelyRich 1801US
"Heat Wave""A Love Like Yours (Don't Come Knocking Everyday)"Martha and the VandellasStateside SS 228UK
Nov"Quicksand""Darling, I Hum Our Song"Martha and the VandellasGordy G 7025US
"The Christmas Song""Christmas Everyday"The MiraclesTamla T 54084 / EX-009
(unreleased)
US
"Workout Stevie Workout""Monkey Talk"Little Stevie WonderStateside SS 238UK
"You Lost the Sweetest Boy""What's Easy for Two Is So Hard for One"Mary WellsStateside SS 242UK
"Can I Get a Witness""I'm Crazy 'Bout My Baby"Marvin GayeStateside SS 243UK
Dec"May What He Lived for Live""He's Got the Whole World in His Hand"Liz LandsGordy G 7026US
"Leaving Here""Brenda"Eddie HollandMotown M 1052US
"Stevie""(He Is) The Boy of My Dreams"Patrice HollowayVIP 25001US
1964Jan"Castles in the Sand""Thank You (For Loving Me All the Way)"Little Stevie WonderTamla T 54090US
"Live Wire""Old Love (Let's Try It Again)"Martha and the VandellasGordy G 7027US
"Shambles""Beautiful Women"Gene HensleeMel-o-dy 110US
"The Way You Do the Things You Do""Just Let Me Know"The TemptationsGordy G 7028US
"If Your Heart Says No""I'll Cry Tomorrow"The SerenadersVIP 25002US
"He's a Good Guy (Yes He Is)""Goddess of Love"The MarvelettesTamla T 54091US
"How Can We Tell Him""Better Late Than Never"Bobby BreenMotown M 1053US
"Quicksand""Darling, I Hum Our Song"Martha and the VandellasStateside SS 250UK
"As Long as I Know He's Mine""Little Girl Blue"The MarvelettesStateside SS 251UK
"When the Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes""Standing at the Crossroads of Love"The SupremesStateside SS 257UK
Feb"Run, Run, Run""I'm Giving You Your Freedom"The SupremesMotown M 1054US
"After the Showers Come Flowers""Don't Be a Cry Baby"Joannie and the TrianglesVIP 25003US
"(You Can't Let the Boy Overpower) The Man in You""Heartbreak Road"The MiraclesTamla T 54092US
"Only You""Right Now"Sammy TurnerMotown M 1055US
"Give Me a Kiss""She's My Baby"The HornetsVIP 25004US
"You're a Wonderful One""When I'm Alone I Cry"Marvin GayeTamla T 54093US
"Can You Do It""I'll Stand By You"The ContoursGordy G 7029US
"Set Me Free""Set Me Free"Lee AlanSummer Camp ZTSC 94422US
"My Lady Bug Stay Away from That Beatle""Poor Girl"R. Dean TaylorVIP 25005
(unreleased)
US
"I Gotta Dance to Keep from Crying""Such Is Love, Such Is Life"The MiraclesStateside SS 263UK
Mar"Like a Nightmare""If You Were Mine"The AndantesVIP 25006US
"Midnight Johnny""Keep Me"Liz LandsGordy G 7030US
"My Guy""Oh Little Boy (What Did You Do to Me)"Mary WellsMotown M 1056US
"In My Lonely Room""A Tear for the Girl"Martha and the VandellasGordy G 7031US
"Devil with the Blue Dress""Wind It Up"Shorty LongSoul S 35001US
"Every Little Bit Hurts""Land of a Thousand Boys"Brenda HollowayTamla T 54094US
"Bringing in the Gold""I've Been a Long Time Leaving"Howard CrockettMel-o-dy 111US
"Satisfied Mind""That's What's Happenin'"Bruce ChannelMel-o-dy 112US
"Live Wire""Old Love (Let's Try Again)"Martha and the VandellasStateside SS 272UK
Apr"Once Upon a Time""What's the Matter with You Baby"Marvin Gaye & Mary WellsMotown M 1057US
"Just Ain't Enough Love""Last Night I Had a Vision"Eddie HollandMotown M 1058US
"I'll Be in Trouble""The Girl's Alright with Me"The TemptationsGordy G 7032US
"He's a Good Boy (Yes He Is)""Goddess of Love"The MarvelettesStateside SS 273UK
"The Way You Do the Things You Do""Just Let Me Know"The TemptationsStateside SS 278UK
"(You Can't Let the Boy Overpower) The Man in You"}"Heartbreak Road"The MiraclesStateside SS 282UK
"You're a Wonderful One""When I'm Alone I Cry"Marvin GayeStateside SS 284UK
"Castles in the Sand""Thank You (For Loving Me All the Way)"Little Stevie WonderStateside SS 285UK
"My Guy""Oh Little Boy (What Did You Do to Me)"Mary WellsStateside SS 288UK
May"Hey Harmonica Man""This Little Girl"Stevie WonderTamla T 54096US
"Little Acorn""Cold as Usual"Dorsey BurnetteMel-o-dy 113US
"You're Just Like Me""Here Comes That Heartache"Bobby BreenMotown M 1059US
"Try It Baby""If My Heart Could Sing"Marvin GayeTamla T 54095US
"Can You Do It""I'll Stand By You"The ContoursStateside SS 299UK
Jun"I Like It Like That""You're So Fine and Sweet"The MiraclesTamla T 54098US
"You're My Remedy""A Little Bit of Sympathy, a Little Bit of Love"The MarvelettesTamla T 54097US
"Where Did Our Love Go""He Means the World to Me"The SupremesMotown M 1060US
"Jimmy Brown""Everybody's Angel"Dorsey BurnetteMel-o-dy 116US
"In My Lonely Room""A Tear for the Girl"Martha and the VandellasStateside SS 305UK
"Every Little Bit Hurts""Land of a Thousand Boys"Brenda HollowayStateside SS 307UK
Jul"I'll Always Love You""Sad Song"Brenda HollowayTamla T 54099US
"When I'm Gone""Guarantee (For a Lifetime)"Mary WellsMotown M 1061
(unreleased)
US
"Baby I Need Your Loving""Call on Me"Four TopsMotown M 1062US
"Since I've Lost You""I Want Her Love"Jimmy RuffinSoul S 35002US
"You Make Me Happy""You Never Looked Better"Bruce ChannelMel-o-dy 114US
"Candy to Me""If You Don't Want My Love"Eddie HollandMotown M 1063US
"Dancing in the Street""There He Is (At My Door)"Martha and the VandellasGordy G 7033US
"Baby I Miss You""Leaving Here"Tommy GoodGordy G 7034US
"Once Upon a Time""What's the Matter with You Baby"Marvin Gaye & Mary WellsStateside SS 316UK
"I'll Be in Trouble""The Girl's Alright with Me"The TemptationsStateside SS 319UK
Aug"My Smile Is Just a Frown (Turned Upside Down)""I'll Come Running"Carolyn CrawfordMotown M 1064US
"Looking for the Right Guy""Feel Alright Tonight"Kim WestonTamla T 54100US
"Girl (Why You Wanna Make Me Blue)""Baby, Baby I Need You"The TemptationsGordy G 7035US
"My Lil's Run Off""Spanish Lace and Memories"Howard CrockettMel-o-dy 115US
"Satan's Blues""Monkey Jump"Junior Walker & the All StarsSoul S 35003US
"Bread Winner""You've Got to Change"Sammy WardSoul S 35004US
"It's a Crying Shame (The Way You Treat a Good Man like Me)""Out to Get You"Shorty LongSoul S 35005US
"That's What Love Is Made Of""Would I Love You"The MiraclesTamla T 54102US
"Hey Harmonica Man""This Little Girl"Stevie WonderStateside SS 323UK
"I Like It Like That""You're So Fine and Sweet"The MiraclesStateside SS 324UK
"Try It Baby""If My Heart Could Sing"Marvin GayeStateside SS 326UK
"Where Did Our Love Go""He Means the World to Me"The SupremesStateside SS 327UK
"Greetings to Tamla Motown Appreciation Society""Greetings to Tamla Motown Appreciation Society"Various ArtistsHitsville USA
(no cat-no; promo-only)
UK
Sep"Lifetime Man""Mr. Lonely Heart"Oma HeardVIP 25008US
"Baby Don't You Do It""Walk on the Wild Side"Marvin GayeTamla T 54101US
"Needle in a Haystack""Should I Tell Them"The VelvelettesVIP 25007US
"Happy Street""Sad Boy"Stevie WonderTamla T 54103US
"Baby Love""Ask Any Girl"The SupremesMotown M 1066US
"Whisper You Love Me Boy""I'll Be Available"Mary WellsMotown M 1065
(unreleased)
US
"Soul Stomp""Hot 'n' Tot"Earl Van DykeSoul S 35006US
"What Good Am I Without You""I Want You 'Round"Marvin Gaye & Kim WestonTamla T 54104US
"You're My Remedy""A Little Bit of Sympathy, a Little Bit of Love"The MarvelettesStateside SS 334UK
"Baby I Need Your Loving""Call on Me"Four TopsStateside SS 336UK
Oct"Who You Gonna Run To""Same Old Story"Mickey McCullersVIP 25009US
"Sweet Thing""How Can I"The SpinnersMotown M 1067US
"Hello Love""The Further You Look, the Less You See"The MajesticsVIP 25010
(unreleased)
US
"Tonight's the Night""You're Bad News"The HeadlinersVIP 25011US
"Too Many Fish in the Sea""A Need for Love"The MarvelettesTamla T 54105US
"Come See About Me""Always in My Heart"The SupremesMotown M 1068US
"Pretty Little Angel""Tears in Vain"Stevie WonderTamla T 54108US
"Dancing in the Street""There He Is (At My Door)"Martha and the VandellasStateside SS 345UK
"Girl (Why You Wanna Make Me Blue)""Baby, Baby I Need You"The TemptationsStateside SS 348UK
"Baby Love""Ask Any Girl"The SupremesStateside SS 350UK
"That's What Love Is Made Of""Would I Love You"The MiraclesStateside SS 353UK
Nov"Without the One You Love (Life's Not Worth While)""Love Has Gone"Four TopsMotown M 1069US
"How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You)""Forever"Marvin GayeTamla T 54107US
"A Little More Love""Go Ahead and Laugh"Kim WestonTamla T 54106US
"Wild One""Dancing Slow"Martha and the VandellasGordy G 7036US
"When Someone's Good to You""My Heart"Carolyn CrawfordMotown M 1070US
"Can You Jerk Like Me""That Day When She Needed Me"The ContoursGordy G 7037US
"Come On Do The Jerk""Baby Don't You Go"The MiraclesTamla T 54109US
"Randy, the Newspaper Boy""Happy Ghoul Tide"Ray OddisVIP 25012US
"Talkin' to Your Picture""Our Rhapsody"Tony MartinMotown M 1071US
"Ever Since the World Began""Long, Long Time Ago"Dorsey BurnetteMel-o-dy 118US
"This Is the Life""My Way"Marvin GayeTamla
(no cat-no; promo-only)
US
"Soul Stomp""Hot 'n' Tot"Earl Van DykeStateside SS 357UK
"A Little More Love""Go Ahead and Laugh"Kim WestonStateside SS 359UK
"How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You)""Forever"Marvin GayeStateside SS 360UK
"Needle in a Haystack""Should I Tell Them"The VelvelettesStateside SS 361UK
Dec"My Girl""(Talkin' Bout) Nobody But My Baby"The TemptationsGordy G 7038US
"Come See About Me""Pride and Joy"Choker Campbell's Big BandMotown M 1072US
"Put Me In Your Pocket""The Miles"Howard CrockettMel-o-dy 119US
"He Was Really Sayin' Somethin'""Throw a Farewell Kiss"The VelvelettesVIP 25013US
"Do the Pig""Thompin'"The Merced Blue NotesSoul S 35007
(unreleased)
US
"What Good Am I Without You""I Want You 'Round"Marvin Gaye & Kim WestonStateside SS 363UK
1965Jan"Ask the Lonely""Where Did You Go"Four TopsMotown M 1073US
"Do You Know What I'm Talkin' About""You Say You Love Me"The DownbeatsVIP 25007
(unreleased)
US
"Conscience I'm Guilty""You Got Me Worried"Hattie LittlesVIP 25015
(unreleased)
US
"Shotgun""Hot Cha"Junior Walker & the All StarsSoul S 35008US
"All for You""Too Many Fish in the Sea"Earl Van Dyke & the Soul BrothersSoul S 35009
(unreleased)
US
"Love Makes the World Go 'Round, But Money Greases the Wheel""Come on Back (And Be My Love Again)"Dee MullinsMel-o-dy 117US
"I'm Still Loving You""Go Ahead and Laugh"Kim WestonTamla T 54110US
"Too Many Fish in the Sea""A Need for Love"The MarvelettesStateside SS 369UK
"Without the One You Love (Life's Not Worth While)""Love Has Gone"Four TopsStateside SS 371UK
"Come See About Me""Always in My Heart"The SupremesStateside SS 376UK
"Come On Do The Jerk""Baby Don't You Go"The MiraclesStateside SS 377UK
"My Girl""(Talkin' Bout) Nobody But My Baby"The TemptationsStateside SS 378UK
"Can You Jerk Like Me""That Day When She Needed Me"The ContoursStateside SS 381UK
"Wild One""Dancing Slow"Martha and the VandellasStateside SS 383UK
Feb"Nowhere to Run""Motoring"Martha and the VandellasGordy G 7039US
"Stop! In the Name of Love""I'm in Love Again"The SupremesMotown M 1074US
"When I'm Gone""I've Been Good to You"Brenda HollowayTamla T 54111US
"I'll Be Doggone""You've Been a Long Time Coming"Marvin GayeTamla T 54112US
"When Someone's Good to You""My Heart"Carolyn CrawfordStateside SS 384UK
"He Was Really Sayin' Somethin'""Throw a Farewell Kiss"The VelvelettesStateside SS 387UK
Mar"Ooo Baby Baby""All That's Good"The MiraclesTamla T 54113US
"It's Growing""What Love Has Joined Together"The TemptationsGordy G 7040US
"Never Say No to Your Baby""Let's Dance"The Hit PackSoul S 35010US
"Kiss Me Baby""Tears in Vain"Stevie WonderTamla T 54114US
"You Only Pass This Way One Time""Rain Is a Lonesome Thing"The HillsidersMel-o-dy 120US
"My Baby""Beautiful Brown Eyes"The Freeman BrothersSoul S 35011US
"Talkin' to Your Picture""Our Rhapsody"Tony MartinStateside SS 394UK
"Stop! In the Name of Love""I'm in Love Again"The SupremesTamla Motown TMG 501UK
"Nowhere to Run""Motoring"Martha and the VandellasTamla Motown TMG 502UK
"Ooo Baby Baby""All That's Good"The MiraclesTamla Motown TMG 503UK
"It's Growing""What Love Has Joined Together"The TemptationsTamla Motown TMG 504UK
"Kiss Me Baby""Tears in Vain"Stevie WonderTamla Motown TMG 505UK
"All for You""Too Many Fish in the Sea"Earl Van Dyke & the Soul BrothersTamla Motown TMG 506UK
"Ask the Lonely""Where Did You Go"Four TopsTamla Motown TMG 507UK
Apr"Back in My Arms Again""Whisper You Love Me Boy"The SupremesMotown M 1075US
"A Thrill a Moment""I'll Never See My Love Again"Kim WestonGordy G 7041US
"I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)""Sad Souvenirs"Four TopsMotown M 1076US
"All the Good Times Are Gone""The Great Titanic"Howard CrockettMel-o-dy 121US
"When I'm Gone""I've Been Good to You"Brenda HollowayTamla Motown TMG 508UK
"Shotgun""Hot Cha"Junior Walker & the All StarsTamla Motown TMG 509UK
"I'll Be Doggone""You've Been a Long Time Coming"Marvin GayeTamla Motown TMG 510UK
"I'm Still Loving You""Go Ahead and Laugh"Kim WestonTamla Motown TMG 511UK
"Out to Get You""It's a Crying Shame (The Way You Treat a Good Man like Me)"Shorty LongTamla Motown TMG 512UK
May"Lonely Lonely Girl Am I""I'm the Exception to the Rule"The VelvelettesVIP 25017US
"I'll Keep Holding On""No Time for Tears"The MarvelettesTamla T 54116US
"Do the Boomerang""Tune Up"Junior Walker & the All StarsSoul S 35012US
"Operator""I'll Be Available"Brenda HollowayTamla T 54115US
"Down to Earth""Had You Been Around"Billy EckstineMotown M 1077US
"Buttered Popcorn""Tell Me"The VowsVIP 25016US
"He's an Oddball""By Some Chance"The Lewis SistersVIP 25018US
"Why Do You Want to Let Me Go""I'm Not a Plaything"Marv JohnsonGordy G 7042US
"Never Say No to Your Baby""Let's Dance"The Hit PackTamla Motown TMG 513UK
"Sweet Thing""How Can I"The Detroit SpinnersTamla Motown TMG 514UK
"I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)""Sad Souvenirs"Four TopsTamla Motown TMG 515UK
"Back in My Arms Again""Whisper You Love Me Boy"The SupremesTamla Motown TMG 516UK
Jun"The Only Time I'm Happy""Supremes Interview"The SupremesGeorge Alexander Inc. 1079US
"Since I Lost My Baby""You've Got to Earn It"The TemptationsGordy G 7043US
"I'll Always Love You""Tomorrow May Never Come"The SpinnersMotown M 1078US
"This Time Last Summer""Please Don't Turn the Lights Out"Danny DayVIP 25019US
"Why Break My Heart (Just to Run Around)""They're Only Words"Dorsey BurnetteVIP 25020
(unreleased)
US
"Pretty Little Baby""Now That You've Won Me"Marvin GayeTamla T 54117US
"First I Look at the Purse""Searching for a Girl"The ContoursGordy G 7044US
"The Tracks of My Tears""A Fork in the Road"The MiraclesTamla T 54118US
"Mickey's Monkey""Pride and Joy"Choker Campbell's Big BandTamla Motown TMG 517UK
"I'll Keep Holding On""No Time for Tears"The MarvelettesTamla Motown TMG 518UK
"Operator""I'll Be Available"Brenda HollowayTamla Motown TMG 519UK
Jul"Shake and Fingerpop""Cleo's Back"Junior Walker & the All StarsSoul S 35013US
"It's the Same Old Song""Your Love Is Amazing"Four TopsMotown M 1081US
"Mother Dear""He Holds His Own"The SupremesMotown M 1080
(unreleased)
US
"Nothing but Heartaches""He Holds His Own"The SupremesMotown M 1080US
"Danger! Heartbreak Dead Ahead""Your Cheating Ways"The MarvelettesTamla T 54120US
"You've Changed Me""Who's Lovin' You"Brenda HollowayTamla T 54121
(unreleased)
US
"You've Been in Love Too Long""Love (Makes Me Do Foolish Things)"Martha and the VandellasGordy G 7045US
"Do the Boomerang""Tune Up"Junior Walker & the All StarsTamla Motown TMG 520UK
"Lonely Lonely Girl Am I""I'm the Exception to the Rule"The VelvelettesTamla Motown TMG 521UK
"The Tracks of My Tears""A Fork in the Road"The MiraclesTamla Motown TMG 522UK
Aug"Hi-Heel Sneakers""Funny How Time Slips Away"Stevie WonderTamla T 54119US
"The Bigger Your Heart Is (The Harder You'll Fall)""The Two of Us"Tony MartinMotown M 1082US
"I Don't Know What to Do""What Now My Love"Richard AnthonyVIP 25022US
"Hang on Bill""Puppet on a String"Little LisaVIP 25023US
"You Can Cry on My Shoulder""How Many Times Did You Mean It"Brenda HollowayTamla T 54121(second pressing)US
"You Need Me""Moonlight on the Beach"The Lewis SistersVIP 25024US
"I'll Always Love You""Tomorrow May Never Come"The Detroit SpinnersTamla Motown TMG 523UK
"Pretty Little Baby""Now That You've Won Me"Marvin GayeTamla Motown TMG 524UK
"Why Do You Want to Let Me Go""I'm Not a Plaything"Marv JohnsonTamla Motown TMG 525UK
"Since I Lost My Baby""You've Got to Earn It"The TemptationsTamla Motown TMG 526UK
"Nothing but Heartaches""He Holds His Own"The SupremesTamla Motown TMG 527UK
"It's the Same Old Song""Your Love Is Amazing"Four TopsTamla Motown TMG 528UK
Sep"Take Me in Your Arms (Rock Me a Little While)""Don't Compare Me with Her"Kim WestonGordy G 7046US
"Things Are Changing""Things Are Changing"The SupremesEeoc S14m 3114
(Advertising Council promo-only)
US
"Ain't That Peculiar""She's Got to Be Real"Marvin GayeTamla T 54122US
"My Girl Has Gone""Since You Won My Heart"The MiraclesTamla T 54123US
"My Baby""Don't Look Back"The TemptationsGordy G 7047US
"I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)""How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You)"Earl Van Dyke & the Soul BrothersSoul S 35014US
"Shake and Fingerpop""Cleo's Back"Junior Walker & the All StarsTamla Motown TMG 529UK
"You've Been in Love Too Long""Love (Makes Me Do Foolish Things)"Martha and the VandellasTamla Motown TMG 530UK
"First I Look at the Purse""Searching for a Girl"The ContoursTamla Motown TMG 531UK
"Hi-Heel Sneakers""Music Talk"Stevie WonderTamla Motown TMG 532UK
Oct"I Hear a Symphony""Who Could Ever Doubt My Love"The SupremesMotown M 1083US
"As Long As There Is L-O-V-E Love""How Can I Say I’m Sorry"Jimmy RuffinSoul S 35016US
"We Call It Fun""Voodoo Plan"The HeadlinersVIP 25026US
"Something About You""Darling, I Hum Our Song"Four TopsMotown M 1084US
"I've Been Cheated""Take My Hand"The Dalton BoysVIP 25025
(unreleased)
US
"I've Been Cheated""Something's Bothering You"The Dalton BoysVIP 25025US
"Let's Go Somewhere""Poor Girl"R. Dean TaylorVIP 25027US
"Down to Earth""Had You Been Around"Billy EckstineTamla Motown TMG 533UK
"Jimmy Brown""Everybody's Angel"Dorsey BurnetteTamla Motown TMG 534UK
"Danger! Heartbreak Dead Ahead""Your Cheating Ways"The MarvelettesTamla Motown TMG 535UK
"You Need Me""Moonlight on the Beach"The Lewis SistersTamla Motown TMG 536UK
"The Bigger Your Heart Is (The Harder You'll Fall)""The Two of Us"Tony MartinTamla Motown TMG 537UK
"Take Me in Your Arms (Rock Me a Little While)""Don't Compare Me with Her"Kim WestonTamla Motown TMG 538UK
Nov"Say You""All for Someone"The MonitorsVIP 25028US
"I Can't Believe You Love Me""Hold Me Oh My Darling"Tammi TerrellMotown M 1086US
"You're Gonna Love My Baby""The Touch of Time"Barbara McNairMotown M 1087US
"Children's Christmas Song""Twinkle Twinkle Little Me"The SupremesMotown M 1085US
"Uptight (Everything's Alright)""Purple Rain Drops"Stevie WonderTamla T 54124US
"A Bird in the Hand (Is Worth Two in the Bush)""Since You've Been Loving Me"The VelvelettesVIP 25030US
"Don't Mess with Bill""Anything You Wanna Do"The MarvelettesTamla T 54126US
"The Flick (Part II)""The Flick (Part I)"Earl Van Dyke & the Soul BrothersSoul S 35018US

Number One Singles[edit]

This is a list of singles released on one of the various labels owned by Motown that reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the United States.

1960s[edit]

YearSong titlePerformerWeeks #1UK chart
1961"Please Mr. Postman"The Marvelettes
1
1963"Fingertips"Little Stevie Wonder
3
1964"My Guy"Mary Wells
2
5
1964"Where Did Our Love Go"The Supremes
2
3
1964"Baby Love"The Supremes
4
1
1964"Come See About Me"The Supremes
2
27
1965"My Girl"The Temptations
1
43
1965"Stop! In the Name of Love"The Supremes
2
7
1965"Back in My Arms Again"The Supremes
1
40
1965"I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)"Four Tops
2
23
1965"I Hear a Symphony"The Supremes
2
39
1966"You Can't Hurry Love"The Supremes
2
3
1966"Reach Out I'll Be There"Four Tops
2
1
1966"You Keep Me Hangin' On"The Supremes
2
8
1967"Love Is Here and Now You're Gone"The Supremes
1
17
1967"The Happening"The Supremes
1
6
1968"Love Child"Diana Ross & the Supremes
2
15
1968"I Heard It Through the Grapevine"Marvin Gaye
7
1
1969"I Can't Get Next to You"The Temptations
2
13
1969"Someday We'll Be Together"Diana Ross & the Supremes
1
13

1970s[edit]

YearSong titlePerformerWeeks #1UK chart
1970"I Want You Back"The Jackson 5
1
2
1970"ABC"The Jackson 5
2
8
1970"The Love You Save"The Jackson 5
2
7
1970"War"Edwin Starr
3
3
1970"Ain't No Mountain High Enough"Diana Ross
3
6
1970"I'll Be There"The Jackson 5
5
4
1970"The Tears of a Clown"Smokey Robinson & the Miracles
2
1
1971"Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)"The Temptations
2
8
1972"Ben"Michael Jackson
1
7
1972"Papa Was a Rollin' Stone"The Temptations
1
14
1973"Superstition"Stevie Wonder
1
11
1973"You Are the Sunshine of My Life"Stevie Wonder
1
7
1973"Touch Me in the Morning"Diana Ross
1
9
1973"Let's Get It On"Marvin Gaye
2
31
1973"Keep on Truckin' (Part 1)"Eddie Kendricks
2
18
1974"You Haven't Done Nothin'"Stevie Wonder
1
30
1976"Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)"Diana Ross
1
5
1976"Love Machine (Part 1)"The Miracles
1
3
1976"Love Hangover"Diana Ross
2
10
1977"I Wish"Stevie Wonder
1
5
1977"Don't Leave Me This Way"Thelma Houston
1
13
1977"Sir Duke"Stevie Wonder
3
2
1977"Got to Give It Up (Pt. 1)"Marvin Gaye
1
7
1978"Three Times a Lady"Commodores
2
1
1979"Still"Commodores
1
4

1980s[edit]

YearSong titlePerformerWeeks #1UK chart
1980"Upside Down"Diana Ross
4
2
1981"Endless Love"Diana Ross & Lionel Richie
9
7
1982"Truly"Lionel Richie
2
6
1983"All Night Long (All Night)"Lionel Richie
4
2
1984"Hello"Lionel Richie
2
1
1984"I Just Called to Say I Love You"Stevie Wonder
3
1
1985"Part-Time Lover"Stevie Wonder
1
3
1985"Say You, Say Me"Lionel Richie
4
8

1990s[edit]

YearSong titlePerformerWeeks #1UK chart
1992"End of the Road"Boyz II Men
13
1
1994"I'll Make Love to You"Boyz II Men
14
5
1994"On Bended Knee"Boyz II Men
6
20
1997"4 Seasons of Loneliness"Boyz II Men
1
10

Albums[edit]

1961[edit]

1962[edit]

1963[edit]

1964[edit]

  • MT-613 Together - Marvin Gaye and Mary Wells
  • MT-615 Motor Town Revue, Volume 2 - Various Artists
  • MT-616 Mary Wells' Greatest Hits - Mary Wells
  • MT-617 Mary Wells Sings My Guy - Mary Wells
  • MT-618 Better Late Than Never - Bobby Breen [Unissued]
  • MT-619 My Son the Sit-In - Stepin Fetchit [Unissued]
  • MS-621 Where Did Our Love Go - The Supremes
  • MS-622 Four Tops - Four Tops
  • MS-623 A Bit of Liverpool - Supremes
  • MT-624 16 Original Big Hits, Volume 3 - Various Artists
  • GS-911 Meet the Temptations - The Temptations (Gordy)
  • T-249 I Like It Like That - The Miracles
  • TM-251 When I'm Alone I Cry - Marvin Gaye (Tamla)
  • TM-252 Marvin Gaye's Greatest Hits - Marvin Gaye
  • TM-255 Stevie at the Beach - Stevie Wonder
  • TM-256 A Collection of 16 Big Hits, Volume 2 - Various Artists
  • TM-257 Every Little Bit Hurts - Brenda Holloway
  • TS-259 Hello Broadway - Marvin Gaye (Tamla)
  • WSJ 212 The Right Side of Lefty Edwards - Lefty Edwards (Workshop Jazz)
  • WSJ 213 Reflections - Earl Washington (Workshop Jazz)
  • WSJ 214 Bold Bohannon - George Bohannon Quartet (Workshop Jazz)
  • WSJ 216 The Soul and Sound of Herbie Williams - Herbie Williams [Unissued?] (Workshop Jazz)
  • WSJ 217 Breaking Through - Four Tops [Unissued?] (Workshop Jazz)
  • WSJ 219 Compositions of Charlie Mingus - Pepper Adams (Workshop Jazz)
  • WSJ 220 Beat - Roy Brooks (Workshop Jazz)
  • GW LPM-300 Just Like Romeo and Juliet - Reflections (Golden World)

1965[edit]

1966[edit]

1967[edit]

1968[edit]

1969[edit]

1970[edit]

1971[edit]

1972[edit]

1973[edit]

1974[edit]

1975[edit]

1976[edit]

1977[edit]

1978[edit]

1979[edit]

1980[edit]

1981[edit]

1982[edit]

  • 6000-ML Tell Me a Lie - Bettye Lavette (Motown)
  • 6001-TL Yes It's You Lady - Smokey Robinson (Tamla)
  • 6002-TL2 Stevie Wonder's Original Musiquarium I - Stevie Wonder (Tamla)
  • 6003-GL Ambiance - Nolen & Crossley (Gordy)
  • 6004-ML Keep It Live - Dazz Band (Motown)
  • 6005-GL Throwin' Down - Rick James (Gordy)
  • 6006-GL So Right - High Inergy (Gordy)
  • 6007-ML Lionel Richie - Lionel Richie (Motown)
  • 6008-GL Reunion - The Temptations (Gordy)
  • 6009-ML I've Never Been to Me - Charlene (Motown)
  • 6010-ML Trust Me - Jean Carn (Motown)
  • 6011-ML Li'l Suzy - Ozone (Motown)
  • 6012-GL I Like It - DeBarge (Gordy)
  • 6014-ML Strung Out on Motown - Regal Funkharmonic Orchestra (Motown)
  • 6017-ML Let Me Tickle You Fancy - Jermaine Jackson (Motown)
  • 6018-LL Escenas De Amor - Jose Feliciano
  • 6019-ML Love Changes - O.C. Smith (Motown)
  • 6020-ML Pressin' On - Billy Preston (Motown)
  • 6021-LL Amor Secreto - Pedro Montero
  • 6022-ML Second to Nunn - Bobby Nunn (Motown)
  • 6023-GL Blow - Bobby Militello (Gordy)
  • 6025-ML Watch It Sucker! - Lawanda Page (Motown)
  • 6026-ML Himself (Soundtrack) - Bill Cosby (Motown)
  • 6027-ML Used to Be - Charlene (Motown)
  • 6028-ML All the Great Hits - Commodores (Motown)
  • STML-12164 Motown Chartbusters Volume 12 (Motown)

1983[edit]

1984[edit]

1985[edit]

1986[edit]

1987[edit]

1988[edit]

1989[edit]

1990[edit]

1991[edit]

1992[edit]

1993[edit]

1994[edit]

1995[edit]

1996[edit]

1997[edit]

1998[edit]

1999[edit]

2000[edit]

2001[edit]

2002[edit]

2003[edit]

2004[edit]

2005[edit]

2006[edit]

Motown subsidiary labels[edit]

Major divisions[edit]

  • Motown Records
  • Tamla Records
  • Gordy Records
  • Tamla-Motown Records

Secondary R&B labels[edit]

  • Check-Mate Records
  • Miracle Records
  • MoWest Records
  • Motown Yesteryear
  • Soul Records
  • V.I.P. Records
  • Weed Records

Alternative genre labels[edit]

Country[edit]

  • Mel-o-dy Records
  • Hitsville Records

Hip hop/rap[edit]

  • Wondirection Records
  • Mad Sounds Recordings

Jazz[edit]

  • Workshop Jazz Records
  • Blaze Records
  • Mo Jazz Records

Rock[edit]

  • Rare Earth Records
  • Prodigal Records
  • Morocco Records

Other[edit]

  • Divinity Records
  • Black Forum Records
  • Natural Resources Records
  • Motown Latino Records
  • Ocean Front Records

Independent labels distributed by Motown[edit]

British (pre-Tamla-Motown) labels[edit]

Miscellaneous labels associated with Motown[edit]

  • Rayber Records
  • IPG Records
  • Rich Records
  • Summer Camp Records
  • Inferno Records

References[edit]

  1. Jump up^ Mandré (Media notes). Mandré. Hollywood, California: Motown Records. 1977.
  2. Jump up^ Big Time (Media notes). Smokey Robinson. Hollywood, California: Tamla Records. 1977.
  3. Jump up^ Apollo (Media notes). Apollo. Hollywood, California: Gordy Records. 1979.
  4. Jump up^ Hotter Than July (Media notes). Stevie Wonder. Hollywood, California: Tamla Records. 1980.
  5. Jump up^ Set My Love in Motion (Media notes). Syreeta. Hollywood, California: Tamla Records. 1981.
  6. Jump up^ Somebody's Watching Me (Media notes). Rockwell. Hollywood, California: Motown Records. 1984.
  7. Jump up^ Tiggi Clay (Media notes). Tiggi Clay. Hollywood, California: Morocco Records. 1984.
  8. Jump up^ The Big Chill: More Songs from the Original Soundtrack (Media notes). Various Artists. Hollywood, California: Motown Records. 1984.
  9. Jump up^ Thomas McClary (Media notes). Thomas McClary. Hollywood, California: Motown Records. 1984.
  10. Jump up^ That Look (Media notes). Alfie. Hollywood, California: Motown Records. 1986.
  11. Jump up^ Dancing on the Ceiling (Media notes). Lionel Richie. Hollywood, California: Motown Records. 1986.
  12. Jump up^ The Genie (Media notes). Rockwell. Hollywood, California: Motown Records. 1986.
  13. Jump up^ A Fine Mess (Soundtrack) (Media notes). Various Artists. Hollywood, California: Motown Records. 1986.
  14. Jump up^ To Be Continued... (Media notes). The Temptations. Hollywood, California: Gordy Records. 1986.
  15. Jump up^ Take Me All the Way (Media notes). Stacy Lattisaw. Hollywood, California: Motown Records. 1986.

External links[edit]